Amazing Heart Healthy Blueberry Muffins
Written by Eli Ben-YehudaOn November 15, 2020
When I was running a pediatric oncology clinic my mornings started very early. I had no time to cook a healthy breakfast. So on my way to work, I would stop through my local Starbucks. I would order a large cappuccino and a large blueberry muffin, you know the ones the size of a softball. Ah so yummy! Warmed in the oven, with a pat of butter in the middle.
Yes about a 1000 calorie muffin. Now I still love blueberry muffins, so here is a blueberry muffin recipe that is lower in calorie and heart healthy.
- 2 cups (240g) white whole wheat flour or gluten-free* flour (measured liked this)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp (14g) unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (120g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30mL) honey
- ¾ tsp vanilla crème stevia
- ¾ cup (180mL) nonfat milk
- 1 ¼ cups (175g) fresh blueberries, divided (about 1 pint)
Black Friday Sale: Get $95 FREE Extras. Learn More>>
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, egg whites, and vanilla.
3. Stir in the Greek yogurt, mixing until no large lumps remain.
4. Mix in the honey and stevia. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and stirring just until incorporated. (For best results, add the flour mixture in 4 equal parts.) Gently fold in 1 cup of blueberries.
5. Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups, and gently press the remaining blueberries into the tops. Bake at 350°F for 19-22 minutes or until the tops are firm to the touch. Cool in the muffin cups for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack.
We collected dozens of great heart healthy recipes for you – Here they are…Tags:
How to Lower Blood Pressure Fast & Naturally.
RESPeRATE is the only non-drug, FDA-Cleared device for lowering blood pressure naturally. It is clinically proven, doctor recommended and has no side effects.
RESPeRATE lowers blood pressure by relaxing constricted blood vessels which cause high blood pressure. RESPeRATE does so by harnessing the therapeutic power of slow-paced breathing with prolonged exhalation in a way that is virtually impossible to achieve on your own. All you have to do is breathe along with RESPeRATE’s guiding tones.
- Clinically proven
- Over 250,000 Customers
- FDA Cleared
- No Side Effects
Get 10 Tips to Lower Blood Pressure.
You will also receive our bi-weekly RESPeRATE Journal.
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.