Heart Healthy Turkey Pot Pie
Written by Eli Ben-YehudaOn October 12, 2021
I love having “Turkey Pot Pie” when it is cold and snowing outside. I used to go to Marie Calender’s to enjoy theirs being as I did not know how to make my own. But now I no longer have to look any further than my own kitchen for this great meal.
With turkey, vegetable, gravy, and a light flaky crust, wow that is just amazing. So today I want to share this delicious recipe that serves eight. Here is a delicious way to use those holiday leftovers.
Ingredients for the Turkey Filling:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon picked thyme leaves (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt-free all-purpose seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 cup crimini or button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup Pernod (optional)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 pound skinless, boneless turkey breast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
- ½ cup chopped parsley
Ingredients for the Crust:
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ cup trans fat free margarine
- 3 tablespoons ice water
1. Prepare the chicken. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil until hot. Stir in the garlic, thyme, oregano, tarragon, bay leaf, turmeric, salt-free all-purpose seasoning, pepper, salt and sauté for one minute.
2. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and mushrooms and sauté for two minutes. Stir in the flour and coat the vegetables well. Add the Pernod, if using, and chicken stock and stir to blend well.
3. Allow the mixture to come to a simmer. Stir in the chicken and simmer for five minutes.
4. Stir in the peas and parsley. Remove from heat and pour the mixture into a 3-quart oval casserole. Cover loosely with foil and set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set aside.
Making The Crust:
To make the crust, placed the flour (and salt, if using) in a medium-sized bowl and add the margarine spread, cut into in one-inch pieces. Cut the margarine spread into the flour with a fork or pastry cutter (this can all be done in a food processor) until crumbly. Avoid overworking the dough.
Add the ice water and mix (pulse in a food processor) until the dough just comes together. Roll the dough between two pieces of film wrap until it matches the size of the casserole. (Hold the dish above the dough to check for correct size.) Peel off the top layer of wrap and bring the casserole next to the dough. Lift the dough by the bottom wrap and use it to help invert the crust onto the casserole.
Trim the outside edges of the crust and gently press the dough so that it fits perfectly around the inside perimeter of the casserole dough. Cut eight, evenly-spaced 1-inch vents in the dough as demarcations of portions and to release steam while baking.
Place the casserole on the foil-lined baking sheet and bake until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling about 45 minutes. Let the casserole rest for ten minutes before serving.
We collected dozens of great heart healthy recipes for you – Here they are…Tags:
How to Lower Blood Pressure Fast & Naturally.
RESPeRATE is the only non-drug, FDA-Cleared device for lowering blood pressure naturally. It is clinically proven, doctor recommended and has no side effects.
RESPeRATE lowers blood pressure by relaxing constricted blood vessels which cause high blood pressure. RESPeRATE does so by harnessing the therapeutic power of slow-paced breathing with prolonged exhalation in a way that is virtually impossible to achieve on your own. All you have to do is breathe along with RESPeRATE’s guiding tones.
- Clinically proven
- Over 250,000 Customers
- FDA Cleared
- No Side Effects
Get 10 Tips to Lower Blood Pressure.
You will also receive our bi-weekly RESPeRATE Journal.
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.