When I was growing up in my parent’s house my mom made some amazing dishes. Being from England ours was a typical British household. One of my favorite dishes was Shepherd’s Pie. This rendition will definitely have people asking for more.
I just baked this recipe this afternoon and my wife was very impressed. It was her first time having a taste of my childhood and a little bit of England.
- Refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 ¼ pounds ground sirloin
- ½ cup fat-free, reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into uniform-size pieces (about 1 ½ pounds)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, cut in half
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- Ground paprika
1) Preheat the oven to 425° F. Coat a casserole dish with cooking spray.
2) Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until wilted, about 5 minutes.
3) Add the meat and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned. Strain the meat mixture into a colander
to drain all fat and liquid. Return to the skillet.
4) Add the broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5) Meanwhile, boil the potatoes with the garlic in lightly salted water until done. Drain the potatoes and remove the
garlic. Mash the potatoes with the milk and egg substitute. Season with salt, if using, and pepper.
6) Place the meat mixture in the prepared casserole and top with the peas. Spread the mashed potatoes over the top.
Coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with paprika.
7) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until heated through and nicely browned. Serve immediately. Click Here
For More Heart Healthy Recipes.
Posted by Eli Ben-Yehuda
Eli is a licensed Registered Nurse with 12 years experience. Eli graduated with a major in nursing and a minor in psychology. His postgraduate training was in trauma, oncology, and cardiology.
With a passion for health advocacy Eli researches and writes many articles concerning improving the lives of people diagnosed with high blood pressure and the complication they experience. He believes empowering people, through education, is the best way to improve their overall health.
About RESPeRATE – Lower Blood Pressure Naturally.
RESPeRATE is the only non-drug, FDA-Cleared device for lowering blood pressure naturally. It is clinically proven, doctor recommended and has no side effects.
RESPeRATE lowers blood pressure by relaxing constricted blood vessels which cause high blood pressure. RESPeRATE does so by harnessing the therapeutic power of slow paced breathing with prolonged exhalation in a way that is virtually impossible to achieve on your own. All you have to do is breathe along with RESPeRATE’s guiding tones. Learn More…
Download RESPeRATE’s Printable Clinical Brochure