Does Cuff Size Matter When Checking Your Blood Pressure?
Written by Eli Ben-YehudaOn November 10, 2019
This week’s question is from Scott H. In my training as a registered nurse, we were always instructed to ensure that we used the right cuff size for the patient. For example, you would not use a medium size cuff on a gentleman who needed a large cuff. Nor would you use a large cuff on a petite woman. In both cases, the reading would be inaccurate.
You must use the correct cuff size for your body type. If you are going to purchase a device for home use, you want to ensure that the cuff can be used for multiple sizes. This way you know you will get an accurate reading.
How to take your blood pressure using a home blood pressure monitor
- Put the cuff on following the instructions that came with your monitor.
- Make sure you are relaxed and comfortable. If you are anxious or uncomfortable, this will make your blood pressure rise temporarily.
- When you are taking your reading, keep still and silent. Moving and talking can affect your reading.
- Take two or three readings, each about two minutes apart, and then work out the average. Some people find that their first reading is much higher than the next readings. If this is true for you, keep taking readings until they level out and stop falling, then use this as your reading.
- Record your reading, either in the memory of your monitor or on computer or paper.
Tips on taking blood pressure readings
- Do not round your measurements up or down – if you don’t keep accurate records of your blood pressure it may affect the treatment you receive.
- Do not be alarmed if you get an unexpected high reading – a one-off reading may be nothing to worry about. Measure your blood pressure again at another time, but if you find that it continues to be high after a period of time, see your doctor or nurse.
- Do not check your blood pressure too often – you may become worried or stressed about small changes in your reading. This can raise your blood pressure in the short-term. Worrying about your blood-pressure reading may actually make it higher.
Click Here For More InformationTags:
How to Lower Blood Pressure Fast & Naturally.
RESPeRATE is the only non-drug, FDA-Cleared device for lowering blood pressure naturally. It is clinically proven, doctor recommended and has no side effects.
RESPeRATE lowers blood pressure by relaxing constricted blood vessels which cause high blood pressure. RESPeRATE does so by harnessing the therapeutic power of slow-paced breathing with prolonged exhalation in a way that is virtually impossible to achieve on your own. All you have to do is breathe along with RESPeRATE’s guiding tones.
- Clinically proven
- Over 250,000 Customers
- FDA Cleared
- No Side Effects
Get 10 Tips to Lower Blood Pressure.
You will also receive our bi-weekly RESPeRATE Journal.
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.