Spinach & Goat Cheese Chicken Tortilla Casserole
Written by Eli Ben-YehudaOn March 25, 2020
This amazing tortilla casserole proves you don’t have to give up your favorite foods to eat a heart-healthy diet. Layers of tortillas, chicken and vegetables with a creamy goat-cheese sauce create a lasagna-like Mexican casserole dish for an easy, healthy dinner the whole family will love.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium leek, halved and sliced, white and light green parts only
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup chopped pickled jalapeños
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 12 corn tortillas, halved
- ⅓ cup green salsa
- ⅓ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place chicken in a medium skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the chicken to a clean cutting board and chop or shred with two forks.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, leek and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the leek is soft and starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Whisk milk and cornstarch in a small bowl and add to the pot. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, 3½ minutes. Stir in spinach, jalapeños, goat cheese, salt and pepper; cook until the cheese melts and the spinach wilts, about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in the chicken.
4. Cover the bottom of the baking dish with 6 tortilla halves. Spread 1½ cups of the filling over the tortillas. Repeat with 3 more layers of tortillas and 2 more layers of filling, ending with a layer of tortillas. Spread salsa on top and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
5. Bake until hot and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
We collected dozens of great heart healthy recipes for you – Here they are…Tags:
How to Lower Blood Pressure Fast & Naturally.
RESPeRATE is the only non-drug, FDA-Cleared device for lowering blood pressure naturally. It is clinically proven, doctor recommended and has no side effects.
RESPeRATE lowers blood pressure by relaxing constricted blood vessels which cause high blood pressure. RESPeRATE does so by harnessing the therapeutic power of slow-paced breathing with prolonged exhalation in a way that is virtually impossible to achieve on your own. All you have to do is breathe along with RESPeRATE’s guiding tones.
- Clinically proven
- Over 250,000 Customers
- FDA Cleared
- No Side Effects
Get 10 Tips to Lower Blood Pressure.
You will also receive our bi-weekly RESPeRATE Journal.
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.