Spanakopita A Heart Healthy Recipe
Written by Eli Ben-YehudaOn June 6, 2021
Want to enjoy a wonderfully tasty Mediterranean dish that is heart healthy? This is one of my favorite dishes. The warmth of the spinach, onions, and phyllo, wow my mouth is already watering. Enjoy this tasty dish with a hearty Greek salad, minus the feta cheese, for an additional heart-healthy treat. Then enjoy a small piece of sweet Baklava afterward. This recipe comes from the kitchen of Chef Dimitra Shanahan.
For the phyllo dough:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- lukewarm water enough to make a pliable dough
For the filling:
- 1/2 kg/1 pound spinach
- 4 spring onions
- 1 leek
- 1 bunch dill
- 1/4 cup rice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
As Seen On TV Sale.
Get $65 FREE Extras. Shop Now >>
1. Place all the dough ingredients in a big mixing bowl and knead well for about 10 minutes.
2. Divide the dough in 4 equal size balls
3. Cover them with plastic wrap and let them rest for an hour
4. Finely chop and wash the spinach, onions, leek and dill. Drain them well, add the olive oil and salt and massage them for at least 5 minutes.
5. Press the mixture with your hands to remove the excess water
6. Flour a surface and using a wooden rolling pin open each dough ball into flat circles (as big and thin they can get)
7. Brush a baking pan with olive oil and place the first phyllo at the bottom, brushing it with olive oil too. Place a second phyllo on top of the first one. Make sure that the phyllo are big enough for your baking pan as the edges must be hanging a bit outside the pan
8. Spread the spinach filling and sprinkle with the rice
9. Cover with the other two phyllo, brushing with olive oil
10. Place the edges of the all phyllo together and press them at the edge of the top layer using olive oil so that the edge of the whole pie is nicely sealed
11. Brush the top of the pie with olive oil and lightly cut the pie in portions, but without cutting down to the bottom
Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/350F for about 45 minutes, until the pie gets a nice golden brown color
12. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with few drops of water and let it cool a bit before serving
We collected dozens of great heart healthy recipes for you – Here they are…Tags:
How to Lower Blood Pressure Fast & Naturally.
RESPeRATE is the only non-drug, FDA-Cleared device for lowering blood pressure naturally. It is clinically proven, doctor recommended and has no side effects.
RESPeRATE lowers blood pressure by relaxing constricted blood vessels which cause high blood pressure. RESPeRATE does so by harnessing the therapeutic power of slow-paced breathing with prolonged exhalation in a way that is virtually impossible to achieve on your own. All you have to do is breathe along with RESPeRATE’s guiding tones.
- Clinically proven
- Over 250,000 Customers
- FDA Cleared
- No Side Effects
Get 10 Tips to Lower Blood Pressure.
You will also receive our bi-weekly RESPeRATE Journal.
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.