Shepherd’s Pie with Mince
Written by Eli Ben-YehudaOn January 6, 2021
When I was growing up in my parent’s house my mom made some amazing dishes. Being from England ours was a typical British household. One of my favorite dishes was Shepherd’s Pie. This classic rendition will definitely have people asking for more.
I just baked this recipe this afternoon and my wife was very impressed. It was her first time having a taste of my childhood and a little bit of England. I also like serving this will boiled cabbage mash on the side. The combination of both flavors is definitely a winning combination.
- Refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 ¼ pounds ground sirloin
- ½ cup fat-free, reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into uniform-size pieces (about 1 ½ pounds)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, cut in half
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- Ground paprika
As Seen On TV Sale.
Get $65 FREE Extras.Ends Soon
Shop Now >>
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F. Coat a casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until wilted, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the meat and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned. Strain the meat mixture into a colander
to drain all fat and liquid. Return to the skillet.
4. Add the broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes with the garlic in lightly salted water until done. Drain the potatoes and remove the
garlic. Mash the potatoes with the milk and egg substitute. Season with salt, if using, and pepper.
6. Place the meat mixture in the prepared casserole and top with the peas. Spread the mashed potatoes over the top.
Coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with paprika.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until heated through and nicely browned. Serve immediately.
We collected dozens of great heart healthy recipes for you – Here they are…Tags: