Heart Healthy Mexican Bean Enchilada Bake
Written by Eli Ben-YehudaOn June 24, 2020
Smoldering culinary delights from, “South of The Border” are always a great way to shake up your menu. Whether your are serving cheesy oven baked nachos, spicy bean burritos, or spicy chicken quesadillas, add this touch of southwestern flavor to your dinner menu tonight.
When creating this dish ensure to use low fact products such as low fat cheese and sour cream. Using full fat products will eliminate any heart healthiness from the recipe. And we all want to be as heart healthy as possible.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Anaheim pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow, red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, peeled and chopped in small cubes
- 3 tomatillos (can omit if unavailable)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 cups cooked black beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans low sodium black beans, drained
- 3 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup pepitos (shelled pumpkin seeds) as a garnish
- 1/2 cup nondairy cheese, optional
- 1/2 cup guacamole and/or salsa, optional
Water-saute onions and peppers, add yams, tomatillos, spices, beans, tomatoes, frozen corn and cilantro. Simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through. Add a small amount of water if mixture gets too dry.
Spray a 13”x 9”x 2” pan lightly with cooking spray if not nonstick. Place a small amount of chili mixture on bottom, then layer 6 tortillas, chili mixture, remaining tortillas and remaining chili mixture. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds (pepitos) and non-dairy cheese if using. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-30 minutes.
Serve with guacamole and salsa if desired.
We collected dozens of great heart healthy recipes for you – Here they are…Tags:
How to Lower Blood Pressure Fast & Naturally.
RESPeRATE is the only non-drug, FDA-Cleared device for lowering blood pressure naturally. It is clinically proven, doctor recommended and has no side effects.
RESPeRATE lowers blood pressure by relaxing constricted blood vessels which cause high blood pressure. RESPeRATE does so by harnessing the therapeutic power of slow-paced breathing with prolonged exhalation in a way that is virtually impossible to achieve on your own. All you have to do is breathe along with RESPeRATE’s guiding tones.
- Clinically proven
- Over 250,000 Customers
- FDA Cleared
- No Side Effects
Get 10 Tips to Lower Blood Pressure.
You will also receive our bi-weekly RESPeRATE Journal.
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.