Summer is here in some parts of the United States. Now is the time it is time to put the “Shrimp On The Barbie.” This DASH Diet recipe is great for those looking for a heart-healthy meal, that is geared towards those with high blood pressure. So fire up the grill and enjoy this mouth-watering meal.
1 pound skinless fresh fish fillets, 1-inch thick (salmon, halibut, sea bass, and/or red snapper)
1/2 pound fresh or frozen medium shrimp in shells
2 medium fennel bulbs
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Rinse fish fillets and pat dry with paper towels. Cut fish into 1-inch cubes. Set aside. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and de-vein shrimp, leaving the tails intact. Rinse shrimp; pat dry. Set aside.
Watch How Mark Lowered His Blood Pressure Naturally. It Was 150/100. Now It’s 110/79.
Learn How Mark Lowered his Blood Pressure Naturally
2. Cut off and discard upper stalks of fennel bulbs, reserving some of the leafy fronds. Snip 2 tablespoons of the fronds for use in the marinade. Remove any wilted outer layers from bulbs; cut off a thin slice from base of each bulb. Wash and cut each bulb lengthwise into six wedges. Cook wedges, covered, in a small amount of boiling water about 5 minutes or until nearly tender; drain.
3. Place fish cubes, shrimp, and fennel wedges in a self-sealing plastic bag set in a deep bowl. For marinade, stir together snipped fennel fronds, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and salt. Pour over seafood and fennel wedges. Close bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, turning occasionally.
4. Drain fish cubes, shrimp, and fennel wedges, discarding marinade. Thread fish cubes, shrimp, and fennel wedges on skewers, alternating varieties. (If desired, transport in a covered shallow container in an insulated cooler with ice packs. Grill within 1 hour.)
5. Place on a greased rack of a grill directly over medium-hot coals; grill, uncovered, for 8 to 12 minutes, turning often, until fish flakes when tested with a fork and shrimp turn opaque. Makes 6 servings.