Beef Chili with Butternut Squash
Written by Eli Ben-YehudaOn June 21, 2020
With a perfect flavor balance between the sweetness of the squash and the heat of the chili, this one-pot meal will please adults and children alike. To peel the butternut squash quickly and easily, use a sharp paring knife or a vegetable peeler.
To make this even healthier you can substitute the ground beef with ground turkey, ground chicken. Also avoid butter or sour cream as toppings for this recipe.
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 14 ½ -ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 small butternut squash chopped into ½ -inch dice (about 3 ½ cups)
- 1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and minced, optional
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus 6 sprigs for serving
- 3 scallions, white parts and 3 inches of the green, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- ½ cup shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
1) Sauté the beef, onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring to break up the meat.
2) Drain the meat and vegetables in a colander and return to the pot.
3) Add the squash, 2 cups of water, tomato paste, oregano, cumin, chili powder, beans, and garlic. Bring to a simmer.
4) Continue to cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender. Add the jalapeno, if using, and the cilantro; simmer for 10 minutes. Add more water if needed.
5) Ladle the chili into soup bowls. Garnish each bowl with a cilantro sprig. Pass the scallions, sour cream, and cheese.
Calories: 300 (18% calories from fat)
Total Fat: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
Protein: 26 g
Carbohydrates: 44 g
Dietary Fiber: 14 g
Cholesterol: 46 mg
Sodium: 518 mg
Potassium: 996 mg
The chili is equally good made with white meat turkey, chicken or buffalo.
We collected dozens of great heart healthy recipes for you – Here they are…Tags:
How to Lower Blood Pressure Fast & Naturally.
RESPeRATE is the only non-drug, FDA-Cleared device for lowering blood pressure naturally. It is clinically proven, doctor recommended and has no side effects.
RESPeRATE lowers blood pressure by relaxing constricted blood vessels which cause high blood pressure. RESPeRATE does so by harnessing the therapeutic power of slow-paced breathing with prolonged exhalation in a way that is virtually impossible to achieve on your own. All you have to do is breathe along with RESPeRATE’s guiding tones.
- Clinically proven
- Over 250,000 Customers
- FDA Cleared
- No Side Effects
Get 10 Tips to Lower Blood Pressure.
You will also receive our bi-weekly RESPeRATE Journal.
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.