Delicious Kohlrabi Gratin
Written by Eli Ben-YehudaOn October 15, 2019
Back when I used to work on an organic farm one of my favorite times was when we where picking kohlrabi. I would pick, peel, and eat it right there in the field. You can use kohlrabi in salads, roast and boil like mash potatoes.
This weeks recipe is one I intend to make at home. “Kohlrabi Gratin” is just as tasty as potatoes. Try this recipe this weekend for family and friends.
- 3 pounds kohlrabi (6-7 medium), peeled and cut into ⅛-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 1⅓ cups low-fat milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- ⅓ cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Put a large pot of water on to boil. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook kohlrabi in the boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Heat 1 cup milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Whisk flour and the remaining ⅓ cup milk in a small bowl to make a smooth paste; stir into the hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg.
5. Arrange ⅓ of the kohlrabi in the prepared pan. Top with half the leek and ⅓ cup each cream sauce and cheese. Repeat with another layer of kohlrabi, the remaining leek and ⅓ cup each cream sauce and cheese. Top with the remaining kohlrabi and sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining ⅓ cup cheese and breadcrumbs.
6. Bake until bubbling and golden on top, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
We collected dozens of great heart healthy recipes for you – Here they are…
How to Lower Blood Pressure Fast & Naturally.
RESPeRATE is the only non-drug, FDA-Cleared device for lowering blood pressure naturally. It is clinically proven, doctor recommended and has no side effects.
RESPeRATE lowers blood pressure by relaxing constricted blood vessels which cause high blood pressure. RESPeRATE does so by harnessing the therapeutic power of slow-paced breathing with prolonged exhalation in a way that is virtually impossible to achieve on your own. All you have to do is breathe along with RESPeRATE’s guiding tones.
- Clinically proven
- Over 250,000 Customers
- FDA Cleared
- No Side Effects
Get 10 Tips to Lower Blood Pressure.
You will also receive our bi-weekly RESPeRATE Journal.
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.