Butternut Squash and Turmeric Soup
Written by Eli Ben-YehudaOn January 13, 2019
Here is a wonderful soup recipe that you just might want to try on the cold January days after shoveling the driveway. This heart healthy soup will have you wanting more. This culinary delight is sure to please your palate.
2 tbsp. plus 1
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 tbsp. vegetable bouillon base
Butternut squash (about 2 1/2 lbs.), peeled (seeds reserved), cut into 1″ pieces
2 medium carrots, cut into 1″ pieces
2 tbsp. light coconut milk
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the bouillon base with 6 cups boiling water, stirring to dissolve.
- Add the squash, carrots, 2 teaspoon turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. Toss the reserved seeds (about 1/4 cup with the remaining teaspoon of oil, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and roast until golden brown and crispy, 9 to 11 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or standard blender, working in batches) purée the soup. Sprinkle with the toasted seeds and swirl in the coconut milk.
Click Here For More Heart Healthy Recipes