Beef Pot Roast With Cider Gravy & Sweet Potatoes
Written by Eli Ben-YehudaOn October 10, 2021
Well I wanted to start of the “New Year” with tantalizing beef pot roast recipe for you and yours to try this weekend. When I think of pot roast I think of cold winter days with the snow falling outside. Inside the aroma of succulent pot cooking away in the oven.
You can serve this dish with a medium baked potato if you do not like sweet potatoes. Remember we want to be heart healthy so we want to avoid loading the potato with butter and sour cream and cheese
- 1 Beef Shoulder Roast Boneless (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup unsalted beef broth
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, cut crosswise into 1 to 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons brandy or water
1. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove roast; pour off drippings and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
2. Add onion and thyme to stockpot; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add broth and cider; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Return roast to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/2 hours.
3. Add sweet potatoes and garlic to stockpot; continue simmering, covered, 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes and pot roast are fork-tender.
4. Remove roast; keep warm. Remove sweet potatoes and garlic with slotted spoon to large bowl, leaving cooking liquid in stockpot.
5. Add maple syrup, ginger, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to sweet potatoes. Beat until sweet potatoes and garlic are mashed and smooth; keep warm.
6. Skim fat from cooking liquid; stir in cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened.
7. Carve roast into slices; serve with mashed sweet potatoes and gravy.
We collected dozens of great heart healthy recipes for you – Here they are…Tags:
How to Lower Blood Pressure Fast & Naturally.
RESPeRATE is the only non-drug, FDA-Cleared device for lowering blood pressure naturally. It is clinically proven, doctor recommended and has no side effects.
RESPeRATE lowers blood pressure by relaxing constricted blood vessels which cause high blood pressure. RESPeRATE does so by harnessing the therapeutic power of slow-paced breathing with prolonged exhalation in a way that is virtually impossible to achieve on your own. All you have to do is breathe along with RESPeRATE’s guiding tones.
- Clinically proven
- Over 250,000 Customers
- FDA Cleared
- No Side Effects
Get 10 Tips to Lower Blood Pressure.
You will also receive our bi-weekly RESPeRATE Journal.
By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.