This salad is sure to become a favorite for multiple reasons: it’s scrumptious, its colors are beautiful, and the ingredients are chock full of vitamins. Berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) contribute anthocyanins, allowing for better blood flow, spinach is loaded with vitamins like A, C and E, folate and, antioxidants, and chicken adds the lean protein that turns a salad into a meal.
Make the salad early in the day, then toss with the dressing just before serving; add blueberries for an extra boost of flavor and even more heart-healthy benefits.
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon-pepper salt-free seasoning
- 1 bag (10 ounces) fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 pint small, ripe strawberries, hulled and each cut in half
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Scant 1/8 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- Dash black pepper
Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Season chicken with salt-free seasoning. In a large skillet, heat peanut oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers; add chicken pieces and sauté until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove chicken from skillet to paper towel to drain. (Chill chicken, if not serving salad immediately). Place chicken, spinach and strawberries, and onion in a large salad bowl; toss lightly. In a small container with a tight-fitting lid, place olive oil, vinegar, mustard and pepper; shake well. Pour over salad and toss.
RESPeRATE is the only non-drug therapy cleared by the FDA for the treatment of high blood pressure and the reduction of stress. It is the first medical device that has been clinically proven to lower blood pressure.