Try this delicious recipe to include flaxseed in your daily diet.
A recent study found that flaxseed achieved one of the most potent antihypertensive effects by a dietary intervention. They attributed this in large part to flaxseed’s content of ω-3 fatty acids, lignans, and fiber. This combination also benefits patients with cardiovascular disease. Not convinced? Well, another study at the Pearlman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, showed flax seed to be effective protection before and after exposure to radiation, including repair of tissue after exposure to radiation during cancer treatment. Here is a delicious way to introduce flax into your daily diet.
Fruity Flaxseed Muffins
These nutritious flax muffins contain only 194 calories, 5 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, .8 g saturated fat, 2.1 g monounsaturated fat, 2.6 g polyunsaturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 4.5 g fiber, 224 mg sodium, 1.7 g omega-3 fatty acids and 28 percent calories from fat. You should get 12 muffins out of this recipe.
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple with juice, canned
- 1/2 cup finely chopped apples (with peel)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, higher omega-3 if available, beaten lightly
- 2 egg whites (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 cup raisins, currants (or any other dried fruit, chopped)
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup ground flaxseed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper or foil liners. Coat inside of liners with a quick squirt of canola cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the pineapple with juice, apples, canola oil, egg, egg whites or egg substitute, sour cream, and molasses until mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in raisins or dried fruit.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flaxseed.
- Add flaxseed mixture to sour cream mixture, beating on a low speed just until combined (batter will be a little lumpy). Spoon batter by 1/4 cupful into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake in center of preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and springy to the touch.