What do you do with your leftover turkey or chicken? Sometimes all you need is a new twist to spark some life into a humdrum meal. Try this wonderful heart healthy soup and maybe serve it in a bread bowl that you can share this valentine’s day.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, sliced into coins
- 3 large stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 cups cubed roasted turkey (white and dark meat)
- 8 cups turkey broth
- 1 cup wild rice (or a wild rice blend, which is what I usually use because wild rice is so darn expensive on its own)
- 2/3 cup half and half cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the carrots and celery and cook until the veggies soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the turkey and turkey broth. Bring to a boil, add in the rice, bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the half and half, salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.
Click Here For More Heart Healthy Recipes